ABC Leathers sources sustainable leather from tanneries which are committed to create, promote and sell leather that is more social and environment friendly. We are also passionate about engaging our customers on sustainability. Our tanneries and leather suppliers are also helping us to reduce the impact of manufacturing processes on the environment, and on the health of those working and living in and around the sites where our products are made. By working closely with suppliers and expert organizations to source more sustainable raw materials, we’re able to reduce our carbon, water and waste footprint, limit chemical and pesticide usage, prevent deforestation and protect fresh water and biodiversity.
Organizations such as LWG (Leather Working Group) help us to better understand the complex nature of our supply chains, while providing us with responsible sourcing assurance. LWG seeks to improve the leather manufacturing industry by aligning environmental priorities, bringing visibility to best practices and providing suggested guidelines for continual improvement. Their objective is to work transparently, involving brands, suppliers, retailers, leading technical experts within the leather industry, and other stakeholder organizations. By working with LWG certified tanneries, ABC Leathers ensures that the tanneries operate in a way that is safe for people and the environment. The process of leather tanning requires significant amounts of hazardous chemicals and dyes that can have negative health implications for workers, and pollute waterways and land surrounding the tanneries. We are working with our suppliers to ensure that all of the leather used in our products is compliant with REACH regulations, and we regularly test all of their leather items to check that they meet these requirements. The ABC Leathers team regularly visits and works with the tanneries to ensure that they use safe chemicals products for making their leather.
For ABC Leathers, our tanneries must meet the requirements set out in our Chemical Policy/Restricted Substance List, which is updated annually as per the requirements of our customers. To increase awareness and develop commitment to RSL compliance, we conduct continuous audits and training programme for our tanneries.
Forward Sustainable Sourcing Plans
• Traceability of raw materials: Mapping our commodities to better understand and influence how they are sourced.
• Lowering environmental impact Increasing the conversion from traditional materials and processes to lower-impact alternatives.
• Craftsmanship Investing in suppliers and projects that support local skills and community development.
• Engaging customers on sustainability Providing customers with opportunities to buy sustainable fashion and to reduce their environmental footprints.
ABC Leather has two production facilities with state of the art machinery and are fully compliant by several auditing bodies like FLA (Fair Labor Association) BSCI, SEDEX & etc.
We are working with few but best tanneries across India which are audited for Restricted Substances List (RSL) and are Leather Working Group (LWG) certified. The tanneries specialize in different kind of leathers.
Lamb, Suede - South India
Buff, Cow - North India
We also import a lot of leather from various tanneries across the globe.
Leather that is produced with responsibility towards the environment, society, and economy is said to be sustainable or ethical.
To ensure sustainability, a standard set of guidelines, called “Ethical Sourcing Practices”, is followed throughout the manufacturing and production processes.
commitment towards the
Planet. People. Profit.
Costs are saved while making sure the practices are fair to the planet and the people. Processes and technology that are futuristic and scalable are chosen.
The workers who are involved are provided with a safe work place and treated with fair wages and working hours.
Resources like land and water are also consumed cautiously in the process.
No animals are raised for the sole purpose of using their leather. Rather, the skins of animals that are raised for their meat, are putto use.
Measures that reflect our ethical promise to the fashion industry
We partner with LWG GOLD Certified tanneries who ensure
• Reduced carbon, water, and waste footprints.
• Limited use of chemicals like chrome and pesticides.
• Negligible environmental impact on local agricultural practices.
• Manufacturing processes designed with care for the health of those working and living in and around the sites.
We nurture our family of local artisans with care by
• Employing local men and women and paying them equally.
• Providing our artisans training, health-care benefits, pensions, and access to transportation.
• Offering the children of our artisans competent education free-of-cost.
• Investing in suppliers and projects that support local skills and community development.
We source and sell quality products at fair prices by
• Regularly tracing our commodities to their sources to ensure optimal use of resources.
• Always adhering to fair trade practices.
• Leveraging technological advancements for more efficient, cost friendly processes.
• Offering top quality fashion products at pocket-friendly prices.